You should know the Topamax for weight loss dose for best results, because it appears to induce weight loss in a majority of individuals.
Topamax, known generically as topiramate. Although not FDA approved for weight loss, topamax appears to induce weight loss in a majority of individuals.
How Topamax for weight loss dose works?
It seems to induce weight loss by suppressing your appetite and affecting certain hormones in your body; namely insulin, ghrelin and leptin.
You are more likely to lose a larger percentage of your weight if you are on a high dose regimen. Weight loss as high as 57 kg over a 2.5-month period has been observed in morbidly obese individuals.
Please note, however, that because these medicines are not yet approved for the treatment of obesity, you may experience side effects that are not yet known.
You May Be Interested In: Kathryn Dennis Weight Loss
Topamax for weight loss dose
Topamax can be taken to promote weight loss and help control binges and purges, but it is important to remember that it is no substitute for going to a doctor and creating a well-rounded weight loss plan. If you are interested in taking Topamax, it is best to make an appointment with your doctor to see if it is right for you. Your doctor will perform a full physical exam and ask about your medical history. If you and your doctor decide that Topamax can help you lose weight safely, you may be given a prescription for it.
Topamax has induced weight loss in a number of different doses. Doses as low as 64 mg daily have been effective, but doses of at least 150 mg per day appear to be most effective.
If you get a prescription from your doctor, it is important to know how to take Topamax for best results.
The starting the Topamax for weight loss dose is a low dose of 25 mg per day, but this dosage can be increased on a case-by-case basis based on each individual’s medical history and the weight they need to lose.
The patients who were given an average dose of 195 mg of Topamax per day lost about 22 pounds over time. This shows that the Topamax dosage range can vary from low to high and that doctors can increase or decrease the amount of Topamax someone takes based on individual results over time.
It may take some time to see weight loss results from taking Topamax. Some people may not notice a difference until they have taken the drug at least four months, while other people may start losing weight in the first month of taking it. The weight loss results from Topamax are proven to increase over time.
You May Be Interested In: Phentermine Online Telemedicine
Topamax for weight loss dose with other medications
- Antiepileptic drugs
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors
- Central nervous system depressants
- Oral contraceptives
- Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ)
In addition to these medications, Topamax should not be taken with alcohol because it can cause drowsiness, increase the risk of getting kidney stones, and cause metabolic acidosis. Metabolic acidosis is a condition where too much acid builds up in body fluids and can become life-threatening if left untreated. If you start experiencing faster breathing, confusion, extreme tiredness and increased heart rate while taking Topamax, you should see a doctor as soon as possible as these are signs that you may have metabolic acidosis.
When considering Topamax for weight loss, you may want to include the following in your decision:
- The use of Topamax for weight loss is an off-label use. Clinical trials to establish Topamax as a weight loss drug actually concluded early because it was found that Topamax side effects were not well tolerated by patients using it for weight loss.
- Many insurance companies do not cover drugs prescribed for off-label use.
- Patients taking doses above 200 mg per day should discontinue the drug if they choose to stop taking it. Stopping Topamax suddenly at doses above this level can cause seizures, even in patients who have never had a seizure.
- When stopping Topamax, appetite and food cravings return. It’s important to learn proper nutrition and exercise strategies to maintain weight loss.
- Many patients report that weight loss/loss of appetite occurs only during the first course of treatment. If Topamax is stopped and then restarted, the results are not necessarily the same.
- According to the Topamax package insert, weight loss only occurs in up to 16 percent of those who take it; However, some side effects or other forms occur in more than 50 percent of patients.
You May Be Interested In: Lose Belly Fat Workout At Home
Relatively small doses of Topamax are likely to cause weight loss in many patients. However, it is important to note that the FDA has not approved Topamax for weight loss therapy. When considering Topamax, work closely with your doctor and carefully consider side effects. You may decide that you are better off following a healthy diet and exercise program.